Welcome to MedTreks Kenya
About our Program
MedTreks Kenya is an ongoing collaboration between health professionals interested in improving global health. We partner with Village HopeCore International (HopeCore) in Kenya.
MedTreks International has worked with HopeCore for over 20 years, and MedTreks Kenya is the result of this long-term partnership. Our program works to build capacity through health education and clinical skills training to health professionals in Kenya.
Clinical Global Health Field Course
About Our Program
Our MedTreks Kenya Clinical & Global Health Field Program is designed to provide socially responsible and sustainable global health experiences through a collaborative partnership with Village HopeCore International – a community health program located on the slopes of Mt. Kenya, serving over 300,000 villages.
Through a collaborative partnership, this program is designed to expand learning and healthcare clinical capacity for U.S. medical professionals, medical/nursing students as well as the Kenya healthcare teams.
The World Health Organization states that Sub-Saharan Africa has only 3% of global health workforce, despite being home to 11% of world’s global population, and 24% of the global disease burden (Source). Our MedTreks Kenya program helps to build healthcare capacity in a field-based clinical knowledge exchange, with three primary areas for participant involvement:
MedTreks Kenya CME Global Health Field Course
MedTreks Kenya Clinical Faculty
MedTreks Kenya Student Clinical Rotations
Village HopeCore International (HopeCore), is a public health and poverty eradication program that provides services to over 300,000 people in rural Kenya. We have been fortunate to be part of this program since its inception in 2001. HopeCore Public Health Program Impact to date:
- 1260 Community Health Volunteers trained
- 45,000 students now have drinking water
- 43,739 mosquito nets have been distributed
- 200 schools receive regular health clinics
- 48,000 mothers have received health education
Programs Sponsored by MedTreks Kenya Teams
Medical Skills Training
Every year, our MedTreks team travels to engage in educational sessions with the Kenyan healthcare team at HopeCore as well as providing continuing education through online discussions, newsletters and Telehealth consultation. This trip is designed as a Global Health Field Course & Health Exchange. We welcome doctors, nurses, PAs, NPs, EMTs and even nursing/NP students & medical students.
If you are a healthcare provider or health educator and interested in teaching your skills to our Kenya team or if you are a student or health professional simply wanting to gain more hands-on experience in global health & humanitarian medicine – we are happy to chat more! Learn more about our MedTreks Kenya Global Health & Medical Trip.
There are several opportunities to be involved with MedTreks Kenya
Travel to Kenya
Support Our Program
Partner with Us
Join Our Team
- Experience a sustainable health program in Kenya that provides services to over 300,000 villagers
- Witness first hand how mobile health and education can be used to change the future of Kenya
- Understand key principles of Humanitarian Medicine in the 21st century
- Learn about community health in Africa, while experiencing village life on the slopes of Mt. Kenya
- Work side by side our wonderful Kenyan staff at HopeCore
- Help deliver pediatric and community health interventions through our mobile clinics
- Participate in cross-cultural medicine in one of the most beautiful regions of the world
- Promote health in rural communities of Kenya while networking with other health professionals
- Interested in teaching? Share your expertise with our staff- join our team as faculty.
- Visit Get Involved for more information
More about MedTreks Kenya Program
Blog Posts, News & Stories
MedTreks Kenya is a year round partnership. Not only do our teams travel to Kenya twice a year, MedTreks also provides regular support through online education, discussions, Telehealth consultation. Read some of our stories and opportunities below!
To get involved with our team, please contact our Medical Director:
Nursing Students in Kenya
Community Health Worker Training
Sustainable Medical Volunteering
MedTreks Kenya August 2019 Trip Experience
“Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is a success.”
– Henry Ford
Our Commitment to Building Capacity
We constantly seek ways in which our trips can make a positive impact to the places where we travel. Our Kenya & Peru trips have a GIVE BACK component where a portion of your trip costs go to the local healthcare facilities. In addition, we provide resources and training to local healthcare workers.