Alaska Rafting Expedition
The Tatshenshini-Alsek Expedition is a journey back to the ice age down a river forgotten by time. Cutting through the Earth’s largest non-polar ice cap and past some of its most active glaciers, the Tatshenshini-Alsek creates an intensely dramatic, overwhelmingly beautiful, and almost primeval river valley. Protected by the five U.S. and Canadian national parks and preserves and part of a 25-milli0n acre UNESCO World Heritage Site, it is a part of the largest protected wilderness area in the world. The “Tat” has been called one of the last truly wild river systems on Earth and the trip was named the #1 river trip in the world by National Geographic. We are truly honored to be able to show people this place.” ~ Momentum River Expeditions
- Enjoy exhilarating but safe class III whitewater rafting while soaking in breathtaking views of the mountains & glaciers
- Witness massive glaciers carving their way down the valleys right to the river’s edge
- Paddle around huge icebergs in Alsek lake
- Appreciate incredible wildlife viewing of grizzly bears, wolves, mountain goats and moose
- Raft over 140 miles of pristine wilderness while enjoying deluxe riverside camping and gourmet meals
- Arrive at camp and relax, sip on a cocktail while our friendly guides set up your deluxe tent, cot & sleeping pad
A Journey Back to the Ice Age Down a River Forgotten in Time
About the Trip
Length: 12 days
Start Date: June 22nd, 2021
Gateway City: Juneau, Alaska
12 days of rafting, hiking & wildlife viewing. On your trip we will float 140 miles through some of the most pristine wilderness left on our planet. From the rolling hills of the Yukon through the Alsek and St. Elias mountain ranges and on to the sea. An epic journey that National Geographic has called the #1 river trip in the world.
This expedition begins in Haines, Alaska. On day one we will journey into Canada, arriving at Daltons Post where we will load ourselves and our gear into the boats and push off for the 140 mile and 11 day journey through the largest protected wilderness area in the world.
See full itinerary below.
People & Place
“There are not many places left on earth where you feel so small and can see and feel the earth changing right before your eyes. But there are also the gentle moments and more tranquil details. Sunny afternoons in fields of wildflowers, the smooth power of the current sweeping you through a massive landscape, the surreal way the light plays across the glacial ice, watching a bear lazily forage for berries at dusk late, sunsets over the craggy peaks, majestic icebergs silhouetted in the moonlight and the sound of waves gently lapping against them, the clink of 10,000 year old ice in your favorite evening cocktail, the flickering of a campfire and the simple joy of being outside in one of the world’s most wild and beautiful places…we look forward to sharing it with you” ~ Momentum River Expeditions
The Tatshenshini (“Tat”) river originates in British Columbia, winding its way through the Yukon, the Tatshenshini-Alsek Provincial Wilderness Park, Glacier Bay National Park and eventually flowing into the Pacific Ocean in Alaska. This incredible river system was once a vital trade route used by First Nations. The Tat flows through the world’s largest non-polar ice cap, an opportunity to witness icebergs and active glaciers from your raft.
Dates & Prices
Dates: June 22nd-July 3rd, 2021
Cost: $6,880 per person
- 12 days of rafting and deluxe camping with gourmet meals
- Float plane back to Yukatat at the end of the trip
- Friendly and expert guiding
- Guided hiking and wildlife viewing
- Comfortable mountaineering tents, comfortable cots, sleeping pads and sleeping bags
- Dry bags and personal floatation devices (PFD’s) are also included for our guests
- Flights to Alaska (see page above, Flights Getting Here/Away)
- Guide gratuities