Join our Medical Teams in Kenya
Welcome to MedTreks Kenya Faculty
Clinical Global Health Education Program
Our Clinical Global Health Education program is designed for medical professionals interested in sharing their knowledge and expertise to help build healthcare capacity in underserved communities in rural Kenya. MedTreks has a long-standing partnership with Village HopeCore International (HopeCore), a community-health program based on the slopes of Mt. Kenya.
Our Clinical Global Health Education Program is based on the train-the-trainer model. As faculty you will be asked to provide up to 10-20 hrs of clinical instruction/mentorship to our Kenya health team. This instruction typically takes place over a 10 day village stay in Chogoria, Kenya – the headquarters for HopeCore.
There are two options for joining our MedTreks Clinical Faculty team in Kenya:
- Apply for a 2-week village stay faculty position
- Join our annual MedTreks Kenya CME Global Health Trip
We do offer custom programs for groups of health professionals, medical/nursing student programs who are wanting to visit and work with our program in Kenya. Please contact us for more information on custom programs.
- Valid, active medical license
- At least 2 years experience teaching/mentoring in a clinical or university setting
- Experience working in underserved populations
- Proficient in English
How to Apply:
- Submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
- We will you an online application and if selected, we will schedule a phone interview
- We will collaborate on a training plan with you and from there you will be able to design your workshops/lectures as planned. We work hard to ensure that your expertise meets the needs of our Kenyan team. MedTreks works with each specific faculty member to make sure that it is a good fit for both the faculty & the program.
- Upon approval of your faculty position, we will provide you with a Welcome Package with all the necessary documents and resources to help make your time in Kenya valuable and effective.
For a 10 day village clinical faculty position the program fee is $1,895. This includes round-trip transportation from Nairobi to Chogoria (about 3.5 hrs), all transportation while in the village, all lodging and meals during the 10 days in the village. This fee does not include international airfare, travel insurance, items of personal nature (laundry, souvenirs etc).
Payment plans are available. You can also collect contributions through a personal fundraising page for your trip that we help set you up with upon registration.
Continuing Medical Education
If you are interested in using your CME allowance for this experience, please visit our MedTreks Kenya CME Global Health trip. This annual trip provides 10 hrs of Category 1 CME for physicians, NPs/PAs as well as 10 CEUs for Nurses.
Why our Program is Different:
Our MedTreks Kenya program is rooted in the concept of building local Kenya healthcare capacity through a train-the-trainer model for clinical skills and health education. MedTreks has an ongoing partnership with HopeCore. Our medical director works weekly with the HopeCore team to understand the local needs and also be more effective at designing projects and educational opportunities. As a clinical faculty in this position we work with you individually to ensure that your skills are being matched to the needs of our organization. Our clinical faculty has expanded over the years, we have a diverse team of physicians, nurses, NPs/PAs, EMTS, LMFTs & health educators. If you are passionate about global health and willing to share you skills and knowledge, we would love to hear from you! Send us a resume and we can begin the application process.
Strengthening the global health workforce through education, collaboration, innovation and empowerment. Our MedTreks
teams work with HopeCore in Kenya to provide ongoing clinical skills training and health education to local Kenyan health
professionals. We are excited to have you join our team!